When the Time Comes - Plans for My Memorial Service
Lars Poulsen - 2020-05-18
This is a work in progress.
As it keeps changing, I like to keep it
in this place, where it is visible.
I want to be cremated, inexpensively.
As for what to do with my ashes, I can think of several option that would each be appropriate:
Maybe a fractional portion for each.
- Haraldsted Kirkegaard, near Ringsted (my birth parish church).
Gives my Danish family a place to visit.
- Live Oak Goleta's Memorial Garden.
Certainly a stone goes there,
but they probably can't allow human remains there,
so it would probably have to happen under the cover of darkness,
- Scattered over the Santa Ynez mountains.
The funeral homes are overpriced, so try to google for "direct cremation"
to find how to skip the markups.
The main event is a memorial service ("Celebration of Life")s
at Live Oak UU Congregation in Goleta. I want there to be a reception with wine and plenty of opportunity to talk.
Slide Show / Video
I am hoping that Colleen and Kate together can do a great "story of my life"
slide show / video presentation. It is probably a good idea to do this ahead of time.
It should have some elements from the periods of my life:
- Childhood on the farm
- High school in Roskilde
- Niels Bohr Institute and RECKU, leading to A/S Datalog
- You probably won't find anything related to my life with Lene Veje
- ACC Santa Barbara, and maybe CMC / Osicom
- Marriage to Debra, Katherine's childhood
- Utilicom / UC Wireless / Wi-LAN, leading to Afar Communications
- Live Oak Congregation - membership and leadership
- Art and Music passions
- Marriage to Colleen
- I Danmark er jeg foedt (Lene Siel has a great version)
- Langt Hoejere Bjerge (Pia Raug - Hjertesproget)
- Danmark (Shu-Bi-Dua - Shu-Bi-laeum)
- Den Roede Traad (Shu-Bi-Dua)
- Spirit of Life (Chalice Lighting?)
- Let it be a Dance
I have some old-time favorites, but besides original works by my friends,
these are also songs I really really love:
Kate Wallace and Natalie D'Napolen would do these very well.
- Give Yourself to Love (Kate Wolf)
- Here in California (Kate Wolf)
- Take It to the Limit (Eagles)
- Across the Universe (Betles - Let It Be - Naked)
I would love to have anyone from the Palm Loft circle there,
but these are probably top of my wish list.
- Arturo Tello
- Randall Lamb
- Sheri and Mark Alciati
- Kate Wallace
- Carter Morgan
I want there to be an open mike, for memories, and maybe if someone were up
for a piece of music, that would be neat, too.
Beside the musicians mentioned above, I hope the following especially would say
a few words:
- Katherine and Robert
- Kate Wren